Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Garlic is in

I planted two bulbs each of hard and soft neck garlic with a strip of rye grass in between. I turned the plot where I had planted the turnips and beets and put the garlic there, nothing had come up so I added all the organic stuff I could find and tilled in a bag of sand. The rye cover crop in the other little plot looks good and won't need messed with till spring. There is so much to learn.

All I can do now is long range planning. Long long range, two to four years, I need a barn and I want a pond. I am having some trouble deciding on a barn site, the most convenient place holds water in the spring. I have a tractor, perfect for my needs a 1968 gas Ford 3000, about 40 hp. A hickory tree fell on it in an ice storm a couple of years ago, but my neighbor fixed it up and it runs fine, its just not very pretty. I want a 4 ft PTO tiller when I can find one, it will be a while before I have a garden big enough to need it, but I want it.


I have my second generation of chainsaws, I already tore up a couple learning how to use them, got it down now. I need a maul to split wood. I want a riding mower. I have a brush-hog but it is a rough imprecise tool, I need something more powerful than the little push mower I have. I want all manner of woodworking tools, I have plans, but I figure I can just accumulate them over time from estate sales and Craigslist etc.


I have lots of plans and Ideas, I would love a greenhouse someday. I want to increase my beehives from 2 to about 6 and understand more of what is going on with my bees. I think in the after a couple of years the bees will eventually pay for themselves, we shall see.


So far from here to there, though each journey begins with one step.

No comments:

Post a Comment