Saturday, October 16, 2010

What it is all about.

There are so many aspects of life to think about and I have decided to try to move to a more simple existence, from a completely urban one to some level of a completely rural one. I am hoping there will be more meaning in my existence by doing this. I already have the land and the house. I am hoping the transition will not take more than three or four years.

There so many levels of self-sufficiency to consider. I mean, is it more important to be off the grid or to grow all of your food? Are overall expenditures an overriding factor, or do you worry more about your carbon footprint? If you consider existence finite, how much time do you spend doing what you dislike and how much do you care about your legacy, or that which comes once you are no more?

I suppose it is small parts of all these things, though I do know that if I was certain of the answers I would be wrong. It’s always that way, the one who is absolutely sure is almost always absolutely wrong. Go figure.

I want to be reasonably self-sufficient, grow and gather a large part of what I consume, keep my energy consumption down for the planet and my pocketbook, live long in good health, have a plan when I get out of bed in the morning, be a friend to most and be missed when I am gone. Hopefully this will document the real life application of my efforts to achieve these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment